CRPA Hall of Fame
The CRPA Hall of Fame provides recognition for professionals and special individuals who have made outstanding, unique, lasting, and extraordinary contributions through recreation and park services in Connecticut.
Education: New York University BS Degree in Recreation Professional Experience 1945-1951 Assistant Director of Recreation, Ossining Recreation Commission. 1951- Director of Recreation, Branford Connecticut.
Professional Affiliations: member of the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA) and member of the Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association (CRPA). Past President and Executive Board member for CRPA as well as member of numerous CRPA sub-committees.
Professional Awards & Certifications: CRPA award for Outstanding Leadership, New England Regional Council of the NRPA Annual Citation, CRPA Past President Award in recognition of Distinguished Service, NRPA Distinguished Professional Award (1991), NRPA Distinguished Fellow Award (1991), Branford’s Citizen of the Year Award, Gold Deeds Award - Branford Exchange Club, inducted into the Branford Sports Hall of Fame, Thomas Wilson Award - American Association for Leisure and Recreation in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (This is the highest Award given by the society at the time for services for the Handicapped.)
- Ithica College BS Degree Springfield College, Graduate Degree in Recreation and Physical Education. Professional Experience
- 1950-1963 Director of Recreation and Camping Newington Hospital for Crippled Children.
- 1963-1966 Camp Director, Camp Sunnyside Des Moines Iowa.
- 1966-1968 Recreation Director, Rochester Rehabilitation Center, Rochester, New York. 1968- Director of Recreation, Newington Children’s Hospital.
Professional Affiliations and Offices Held
- Member of the National Recreation and Parks Association
- Member of the Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association
- Member of the New England Camping Association
- Member of the Connecticut Association for Health Physical Education and Recreation
- Past President of the Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association, 1974
- Treasurer of the Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association, 1976
- Chairman of the Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association Therapeutic Section
- Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association Executive Board for thirteen years, as well as member of numerous CRPA sub-committees.
- Chairman of the Recreation Therapy Section of the Eastern District of American Alliance of Health Physical Education and Recreation. • President of the Iowa Camping Association. • New England Camping Association Board Member. • 1953-1955, Treasurer, Connecticut Association for Health Physical Education and Recreation. Professional Awards & Certifications Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association annual award for Outstanding Leadership and Dedicated Continuous Service – May 18, 1979. The New England Regional Council of the National Recreation and Park Association Annual Citation. May 3, 1982. Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association Past President Award in recognition of Distinguished Service – 1975. Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association Special Recognition CRPA Award in recognition of George Sanford’s untiring efforts, June 2, 1988. 1984-1988 in appreciation for your guidance, dedication, and most of all your love. (From the Wheelchair Cruisers).
R. Peter Ledger
- Graduated in 1958 with a B.A. from University of New Hampshire Major in History/Education, Minor in Physical Education Professional Experience
- 1958-1961 Program Director, Framingham Community Center (MA)
- 1962-1965 Supt of Bristol Parks & Recreation (NH)
- 1965-1984 Director, Groton Parks & Recreation (CT)
- 1977-1978 Acting City Manager, Groton (CT)
- 1984-2002 Director, New Britain Parks & Recreation (CT) Major
Professional Affiliations and Offices Held
- New Hampshire Parks and Recreation Society Past President, President, Vice President Connecticut Recreation and Parks Association Past President, President, Secretary, Finance Chairman New England Parks Association Program Chair, New England Regional Council National Recreation and Parks Association Member, Board of Trustees, 1984-1990 Chairman, New England Regional Council, 1980-81 Director, American Parks and Recreation Society, 1982-85 Professional Awards & Certifications 1967 – Groton Jaycees Distinguished Community Service Award 1971 – Groton Elks Club Community Service Award 1978 – CRPA Distinguished Service Citation Award 1981 – Certified Parks and Recreation Professional 1984 – New England Regional Council Professional Citation 1991 – NRPA/APRS Distinguished Fellow Award 1991 – CRPA Life Membership Award 2006 – R. Peter Ledger Young Professional Award (Named In His Honor) On June 10, 2002, “Ledger’s Way”, was dedicated to honor R. Peter Ledger’s service as Parks and Recreation Director for the City of New Britain, CT, from March, 1984 to June, 2002. ‘Ledger’s Way” is an Arch Walkway to an urban trail that welcomes pedestrians to walk a path that starts in the heart of New Britain at Walnut Hill Park and easily connects to key educational, cultural, religious and commercial points in the City. A metal sculpture resembling roses climbing a trellis designed by sculptor Joy Wulke forms the entryway to the trail, reminiscent of rose gardens that formerly graced the area. The futuristic roses, dotted with fiber optic lights and without thorns, are low in maintenance, yet spectacular in beauty! The inscription reads: “Pete Ledger, a leader whose spirit and strength preserved our community park land and elevated recreational programming excellence for the benefit of New Britain’s diverse citizenry.”