Location: Town of East Lyme
Posting date: 10/27/2022
Date: October 2022
Position: Parks and Recreation Maintainer III
Department: Parks and Recreation
Reports to: Parks and Recreation Foreman/Turf Specialist
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Performs general labor work and work related to the care, maintenance and beautification of grounds including facilities, parks, beaches, play fields and landscaped areas. Requires the operation of various types of tools, equipment and vehicles. Works independently in the construction, installation, repair and maintenance of Parks and Recreation facilities.
• Operates various tools and equipment (non-power and power) including, but not limited to: chain saws, weed cutters, brush cutters, lawn sweepers, edgers, top dressing machine, lawn roller, line painter, over-seeding machine, snow blower, ball field conditioner, sod cutter, push mowers, trencher, power hand tools, pressure washer, pumps, reel mowers, rotary mowers, leaf blowers, rotor tillers, hedge trimmers and pruners.
• Performs manual work, sometimes heavy, in the removal of trees. Leaves, brush, trash or refuse, and in the installation or replacement of benches, fences, posts, rails or signs. Also shovels materials such as sand, gravel, stone and soil. Uses hand tools to plant and care for trees, shrubs and flower beds.
• Operates equipment to mow and maintain fields, beaches, grounds and recreational areas. Grades, fertilizes, seeds and lines playing fields.
• Prepares vehicles and equipment, loading materials and in positioning equipment. Services vehicles and equipment with fuel, lubricants and accessories. Maintains cleanliness of all equipment.
• Operates motor vehicles including, but not limited to, dump trucks, pick-up trucks, van trucks, stake body/box trucks, and trailers, tractors, and tractor loaders, tractor backhoes, including such attachments as snow plow, snow blower and tractor mowers.
• Operates various tools, power tools and equipment including, but not limited to, chain saws, power weed cutters, power brush cutters, power sprayers, aerators, lawn sweepers, power edger’s, portable generators, radial arm saw, power top dressing machine, lawn roller, power line painter, over-seeding machine, snow blower, ball field conditioner, power sod cutter, push mowers, trencher, bobcat loader, power hand tools, pressure washer, pumps, reel mowers, rotary mowers, flail mowers, power leaf blowers, rotor tillers, brush clippers, stump grinders, hedge trimmers, power pruners, cement mixer, irrigation systems and timers.
• Inspects machinery, equipment, buildings and ground for safety.
• Operates snow removal tools such as snow blower, snow plow, shovels or other equipment.
• Applies pesticides and herbicides under the direction of a supervisor.
• Performs related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Three years of experience in the operation and care of grounds-keeping equipment and/or grounds maintenance.
• State of CT Motor Vehicle Driver’s License is required.
• CDL-B Air Brakes Motor Vehicle License is preferred.
• Must possess and maintain a valid State of Connecticut Commercial Junior Operator Certificate for pesticides.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups, both professional and non-professional, co-workers, management personnel, the public and others.
• Working knowledge of the care, development and maintenance or lawns, athletic turf, and athletic fields/facilities.
• Basic knowledge of insects and diseases that attack lawn, shrubs, etc. and the methods of controlling them.
• Skill in the operation of grounds keeping.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups, both professional and non-professional, co-workers, management personnel, the public and others
Mental and Physical Requirements:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Must be able to perform continuous bending, twisting stooping, reaching and lifting of moderate to heavy weight material up to 100 lbs.
• Must be able to work standing for extended periods, up to 8 hours per day.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee primarily works out of doors in all weather conditions.
• Is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• Able to frequently work near moving mechanical parts, in precarious places and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic materials, extreme cold and extreme heat.
• Able to perform in a work environment that is quiet to noisy depending on the task or equipment being used.
• Vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to maintain his/her composure with the public and co-workers in everyday, stressful emergency situations.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement or contract between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as requirements of the job change.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar; or a logical assignment to the position.
Click Here For More Information